Our clients are like family. We’re focused on being responsive to their needs, providing unsurpassed service to drive their success.
Core Financial Services
Every school needs reliable financial expertise to stay strong. Our specialists provide a wide array of services with the unrivaled personal care and attention to detail that define our work.
We partner with clients to develop realistic budgets and financial plans that help school leaders reach their strategic objectives.
- Develop annual budgets
- Develop budgets for new programs, charter petition renewals and grant requests
- Forecast detailed monthly cash-flow
- Prepare detailed financial statements
- Complete financial reporting
We provide a range of accounting services to ensure clients maintain accurate financial data and safeguard their assets.
- Compliance with the State Standardized Account Code Structure (SACS)
- Complete audit preparation
- 1099 completion for independent contractors
- Preparation of detailed, coded transaction recording
- Monthly bank statements, depreciation and valuation analysis
- Vendor invoice processing
- Revenue receipt monitoring
- Training of school personnel
Cash flow is the lifeblood of any organization. We help our clients manage cash actively and effectively.
- Weekly cash position report development
- Line of credit application completion
- Deferral exemption application
- Invoice payment timing
- Planning and management of outstanding debt payments
Payroll Processing & Retirement Reporting
Administering payroll can be cumbersome. We perform a range of payroll and retirement-related tasks on behalf of our clients.
- Payroll processing
- CalSTRS and CalPERS reporting
- Remittance of retirement contributions
- Assistance with CalSTRS and CalPERS audits
- Quarterly and annual tax forms and deposits
Compliance & Data Management Services
Charter schools must comply with detailed and time-consuming reporting requirements. We take on much of the burden of swift, accurate compliance and data management.
- Preparing reports required by authorizing and other external agencies
- Preparing and submitting funding applications
- Navigating compliance with funding sources
- Facilitating the management and reporting of school data to CALPADS
Startup Services for New Charter Schools
ExED has rich experience helping new charter schools launch successfully. We work with school leaders and boards during the application and petition processes, helping them to create budgets and understand all aspects of school finance.
- Working with school leaders and boards during the application and petition processes
- Helping to create budgets and understand all aspects of school finance
- Hosting annual training on operational best practices and state budget
- Providing guidance, training, and templates to support effective internal controls
“Most charter schools flounder because of financial reasons. To have a partner who can help take that risk away is incredibly important and allows us to pay attention to the most important thing – the students.”
Parker Hudnut, CEO, ICEF Public Schools
Charter School Board Governance Support
Independently governed charter school boards are at the heart of quality public charter schools. This governance structure is critical to delivering the strong leadership, solid finances and high academic standards that charter schools need to be successful.
ExED provides governance support in four key ways:
ExED continually seeks out and pursues individuals with the skills, interest, and time to serve on charter boards.
ExED works one-on-one to introduce potential board members to school leaders seeking to enhance or expand the board.
ExED works with charter school leaders to clarify the specific school governance needs for short-term and long-term success.
ExED staff provides key governance trainings on critical board member fiscal and legal responsibilities.